Medical Assisting - Administrative & Clinical
The program prepares students to seek employment in medical offices or clinics performing administrative and clinical duties including records management, financial systems, laboratory procedures and medical transcription. Students must provide their own transportation to off-campus clinical sites.
The program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) in coordination with the American Association of Medical Assistants. Upon successful completion of the curriculum, a student is eligible to take the certification examination to become a Certified Medical Assistant offered by the American Association of Medical Assistants (convicted felons may not be eligible).
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Demonstrate and perform technical skills related to administrative and clinical duties utilizing current technology and OSHA/CLIA standards required in the medical ambulatory settings.
- Exhibit professionalism, skills required for employment and interpersonal skills in a culturally diverse community.
- Apply cognitive skills to analyze, synthesize and evaluate ideas and information in a medical ambulatory setting.
This program is designed to be completed in months.
This program will cost if completed within normal time. There may be additional costs for living expenses. These costs were accurate at the time of posting, but may have changed.
Of the students who completed this program within normal time, the typical graduate leaves with of debt.
For more information about graduation rates, loan repayment rates, and post-enrollment earnings about this institution and other postsecondary institutions please click here: www.collegescorecard.ed.gov.
This program has not passed standards established by the U.S. Department of Education. The Department based these standards on the amounts students borrow for enrollment in this program and their reported earnings. If in the future the program does not pass the standards, students who are then enrolled may not be able to use federal student grants or loans to pay for the program, and may have to find other ways, such as private loans, to pay for the program.
Requirements for Admission into the Medical Assisting Program are:
- Completed application for admission to the program.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent with a 2.0 grade point average as well as in all college work.
- Keyboarding speed of 30-35 wpm.
- Eligibility for ENGL 001A.
- After acceptance into the program, submit a completed health form evidencing physical and emotional health including required immunizations/ chest x-ray or Mantoux test.
- Current CPR/BLS (Basic Life Support) card, which must be maintained while in the program.
High school courses in human physiology, algebra, bookkeeping and typing.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required units: 39
- MA 109 - Health Information Technology (1)
- MA 110 - Medical Office Microcomputer Management Applications (1)
- MA 111A - Medical Office Procedures I (4)
- MA 115 - Medical Terminology (3)
- MA 122A - Clinical Assisting Techniques I (2)
- MA 122B - Clinical Assisting Techniques II (2)
- PYSO 100 - Basic Physiology and Anatomy (3)
- MA 126 - Pharmacology for Medical Assistants (2)
- MA 111B - Medical Office Procedures II (4)
- MA 113 - Human Disease (3)
- MA 122C - Clinical Assisting Techniques III (4)
- MA 124 - Medical Office Laboratory Procedures (3)
- MA 127 - Medical Insurance (3)
- MA 128 - Clinical Experience (4)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.