Automotive Electrical Systems Technician
This Certificate of Achievement does not count as a major for an Associate Degree.
The curriculum provides students with a strong foundation for the completion of other Automotive Technology certificates, including Electrical/Electronic Systems and All Automotive Systems. Automotive professionals who wish to update and/or upgrade their knowledge and skill set in automotive electrical/electronic systems will benefit from completion of this certificate. Students will gain valuable hands-on experience in proper diagnostic and service techniques used in automotive electrical/electronic systems. The use of precision measuring equipment and specialty tools are emphasized. Students are encouraged to take the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) exam for electrical/electronic systems (A6). ASE Student Examinations are administered within program courses.
This program has lab fees, uniform and DMV requirements. This curriculum is National Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF) approved and renewed in 2016.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Apply electrical/electronic systems theories of operation to practical diagnostic scenarios encountered during electrical/electronic automotive service and repair.
- Demonstrate the safe set up and operation of diagnostic, hand, and special service tools utilized by electrical/electronic automotive repair industry.
- Develop diverse skill sets pertaining to the National Automotive Technician Education Foundation (NATEF) electrical/electronic systems performance tasks.
- Develop an electrical/electronic systems technician skill set, including basic customer service and writing skills to follow the legal aspects outlined by the California Bureau of Automotive Repay standards.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement:
Required Units: 12
- AUTO 200 - Automotive Fundamentals for Technicians (4)
- AUTO 206A - Basic Automotive Electrical Systems (4)
- AUTO 206B - Automotive Electrical Systems (4)
- ELTY 012 - Basic Electricity-Electronics (Industrial Arts) (2)
- ELTN 109B - Applied Mathematics for Electronics (3)