Automotive Technology- All Automotive Systems
The curriculum prepares students for entry-level employment in automotive areas such as an apprentice mechanic, assistant technician, mechanic's helper, predelivery technician, installer, service technician, service attendant, or smog technician trainee. Students in the Automotive Technology program gain valuable hands-on experience in diagnosis and repair of vehicles while using the National Education Technicians Foundation (NATEF) task list as a guide. Instruction includes automotive engines, transmissions and drive lines (RWD & FWD) for both automatic and manual systems, suspension systems, braking systems (including ABS), air conditioning systems, and engine performance including most state and federally mandated requirements. Upon successful completion of the curriculum, students receive credit for one year of work experience when applying for certification by the National Institute of Automotive Service Excellence (ASE). This Certificate prepares students for the ASE 1-8 Professional Exams. ASE Student Examinations are administered within program courses.
This program has lab fees, uniform, and DMV requirements. This curriculum is National Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF) approved and renewed in 2016.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Apply theories of automotive system fundamentals operation to practical diagnostic scenarios encountered during automotive service and repair.
- Demonstrate the safe set-up and operation of diagnostic, hand, special service and machine tools utilized by standard automotive repair industry.
- Develop diverse skill sets pertaining to the National Automotive Technician Education Foundation (NATEF) standards and performance tasks.
- Demonstrate technical and diagnostic skills while following the proper documentation process as required by the Bureau of Automotive Repair.
This program is designed to be completed in months.
This program will cost if completed within normal time. There may be additional costs for living expenses. These costs were accurate at the time of posting, but may have changed.
Of the students who completed this program within normal time, the typical graduate leaves with of debt.
For more information about graduation rates, loan repayment rates, and post-enrollment earnings about this institution and other postsecondary institutions please click here: www.collegescorecard.ed.gov.
This program has not passed standards established by the U.S. Department of Education. The Department based these standards on the amounts students borrow for enrollment in this program and their reported earnings. If in the future the program does not pass the standards, students who are then enrolled may not be able to use federal student grants or loans to pay for the program, and may have to find other ways, such as private loans, to pay for the program.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required Units: 47
- AUTO 200 - Automotive Fundamentals for Technicians (4)
- AUTO 201 - Engine Operation & Testing (6)
- AUTO 202 - Automatic Transmission and Transaxles (5)
- AUTO 203 - Manual Transmission, Transaxle, and Drivetrain (5)
- AUTO 204 - Automotive Suspension & Steering (6)
- AUTO 205 - Automotive Brake Systems (4)
- AUTO 206A - Basic Automotive Electrical Systems (4)
- AUTO 206B - Automotive Electrical Systems (4)
- AUTO 207 - Automotive Heating & Air Conditioning (3)
- AUTO 208 - Engine Performance (6)
- BUS 011A - Business Communications (3)
- BUS 160 - Customer Service (3)
- MIT 101 - Introduction to Robotics (4)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.