The curriculum prepares students to work in entry level positions in the field of biotechnology in high-tech industry and research institutions. This is an interdisciplinary program including courses and practical training in math, chemistry, biology, computer skills, and English. Emphasis is placed on program participants developing competency for working in a laboratory environment, including performing basic and advanced laboratory techniques, collecting, documenting, and analyzing data, and participating in short-term independent projects. Fundamental skills and workplace competencies necessary for successful employment in the biotechnology industry and in research laboratories are also emphasized.
Students are kept informed on current advances in biotechnology by guest speakers and internet assignments to access relevant technical resources and recently published scientific articles.
This program offers classroom instruction in a working laboratory setting and assistance in finding appropriate internships. Students must be willing to spend time working on long term projects and participating in community outreach programs. Students must be able to provide their own transportation to an internship site.
Employment opportunities include positions in: biomedical industry, academic research institution, pharmaceutical companies, agriculture, food science, and genetic engineering laboratories.
Students who have previously completed coursework required for the Certificate of Achievement and need only the Biology 102A-D courses may take a “fast track” and complete the certificate in 1 year.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Understand, interpret and write laboratory documents, SOPs, protocols, and notebook documentation.
- Be able to use, maintain, calibrate, and/or validate standard laboratory equipment.
- Be prepared for entry-level technician positions in the biological technology industry and in research laboratories.
This program is designed to be completed in months.
This program will cost if completed within normal time. There may be additional costs for living expenses. These costs were accurate at the time of posting, but may have changed.
Of the students who completed this program within normal time, the typical graduate leaves with of debt.
For more information about graduation rates, loan repayment rates, and post-enrollment earnings about this institution and other postsecondary institutions please click here: www.collegescorecard.ed.gov.
This program has not passed standards established by the U.S. Department of Education. The Department based these standards on the amounts students borrow for enrollment in this program and their reported earnings. If in the future the program does not pass the standards, students who are then enrolled may not be able to use federal student grants or loans to pay for the program, and may have to find other ways, such as private loans, to pay for the program.
- MATH 131 - Intermediate Algebra (4)
- CHEM 001A - General Chemistry and Chemical Analysis (5)
- Computer literacy
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required units: 50
- ENGL 001A - Reading and Composition (4)
or ENGL 001AH - Honors Reading and Composition (4)
- CHEM 001B - General Chemistry and Chemical Analysis (5)
- BIOL102A - Biological Technology - Basic Techniques (3)
- BIOL 010A - Cellular Biology, Genetics and Evolution (5)
- BIOL 010B - The Diversity of Life on Earth: Structure, Function and Ecology (5)
- BIOL 102B - Biological Technology - Advanced Techniques (3)
- BIOL 102C - Biological Technology - Cell Culture Techniques (3)
- CHEM 008A - Organic Chemistry (5)
- MICR 002 - Microbiology (4)
or BIOL 104B - Microbiological Applications Used in Biotechnology (4)
- STAT 018 - Statistics for Behavioral and Social Sciences (4)
or STAT 050 - Elementary Statistics (4)
or STAT 050H - Honors Elementary Statistics (4)
- BIOL 010C - Genetics (3)
- PHSC 002 - Scientific Method as Critical Thinking (3)
- BIOL102D - Biological Technology - Laboratory Internship (3)
- BIOL 104A - Applications of Fluorescence Microscopy (2)
- BIOL 104C - Research Methodology (3)
- BIOL 104D - Collaborative Research Experience (3)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.