Design Media Art – Game Design & Development
Game Design and Development is a field that combines interactive, visual storytelling with complex game mechanics. Certificate recipients will learn entry-level skills in ideation, storyboarding, game design, playtesting, and computer programming with industry-standard game engines. Students will learn project management and collaboration skills. Students will develop a portfolio and participate in a shared incubator course with all Design/Media Arts students.
All courses in this certificate require literacy and proficiency in writing and math. Projects require written, oral, and visual presentations as well as the application of basic math principles and skills.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Develop original game designs using foundational creative processes, principles of game design and game development technologies.
- Identify essential industry competencies and explore applications and learning resources to identify practical approaches to problem-solving.
- Strategize and manage efficient design and production workflows.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in teams effectively.
- Communicate game designs effectively through appropriate verbal, written and visual techniques.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
- DMA 004 - History of Digital Games 93)
- DMA 012 - Digital Art: Painting & Drawing (3)
- DMA 090 - Game Design I (3)
- DMA 070 - Motion Graphics (3)
or DMA 072 - 2D Animation (3)
- DMA 080A - 3D Modeling & Sculpting (3)
or DMA 080B - 3D Animation & Simulations (3)
- DMA 092 - Game Design II: Game Engines (3)
- DMA 032 - Interaction Design (3)
or DMA 034 - User Experience Design (UX) (3)
- DMA 098 - Design/Media Arts Incubator (3)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.