Visit the Music Lab for support and resources to use for your music study. The Music Lab is available on a drop-in basis during our open hours for you to use at your convenience.
Music Lab Services & Usage
The Music Lab has a listening area with networked computers that can play CD’s and VHS and DVD players. The computers are equipped with software that can help you with music fundamentals, music theory, ear training, and digital editing. Several of the computers have Finale notation software. We also have a variety of equipment that is available for checkout, including metronomes, amps, microphones, percussion instruments, and iPod players
Computer, audio, video stations, and carrels are available on a first come basis. If all stations are being used, you may be asked to yield your station after one hour.
As long as you’re enrolled in one of the appropriate classes, you will have access to piano, theory, and tutoring. Tutoring is provided by either a trained student tutor or a faculty member.
Speak with a Lab Instructor for assistance in selecting music courses, help in deciding on a transfer school, or defining and refining educational goals.
- You must be a current PCC student with a PCC ID to use the Music Lab.
- You should properly clock in at the Attendance Computer when you arrive and clock out when you leave every time you use the Lab to ensure that you are credited for the time spent.
- The computer will not allow you to clock in or receive Lab credit at a time you are scheduled to be in a class, even if the class has been canceled or the teacher has directed you to use the Lab during that time. This is to ensure that you get State credit for being in class.
- CA-001B is a special, multiple use room. Priority is given to tutors, music majors (especially students needing the Finale notation program or Pro Tools) and music history students doing group projects.
- The MIDI/digital audio rooms and workstations are restricted to students in those classes.
We have twenty-five rooms that are reserved as practice spaces for you to reserve as needed.
Our practice rooms are equipped with:
- Upright pianos in nine of the rooms
- Grand pianos in five rooms
- Drum sets in four rooms
- Percussion instruments in one room
Note: To use the percussion and drum set rooms, you must be a student in one of those programs.
- Practice rooms are circulated like Library items. You need to check out the room key which unlocks the practice room. You may be asked to surrender any room that is not checked out properly.
- You may reserve rooms and times for the semester during the third week. Fill out “The Blue Sheet” that is available in the music lab and follow its instructions. Reservations are in effect beginning the fourth week through the fifteenth week.
- Rooms can be reserved on a daily basis. Reservation sheets are posted at the circulation desk. A daily waiting list is provided, and rooms not claimed by 5 minutes after the hour are given out based on the waiting list order.
- Respect the right of others to have a quiet study area and uninterrupted practice time.
When you are using a practice room, you are expected to follow the following policies:
- You are expected to practice the entire time the room is checked out. If you have to leave for any length of time, the room key must be returned.
- No food, drink, or socializing is allowed in the practice rooms.
The music library is an extensive score library with CD, DVD and video holdings. We also have reserved materials, reference sources such as music dictionaries and encyclopedias, and many current music text books available.
- A valid student ID is required.
- Loan periods are limited to 2 hours.
- Overdue fines are 50 cents per hour.
Use the form below to send us your question and one of our staff members will respond in a timely manner. If your question requires an immediate response, please visit our center to speak with a staff member in-person.